Thursday, August 29, 2013

Sharing a Favorite. . .

Don't you just love that tingling, drop-from-the-top-of-roller-coaster-hill feeling you get when you watch a favorite scene from one of your favorite movies? I've admitted it before, and I'll admit it again, I love a good love story, whether it be in movie or book form. And, for me, North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell is a good as it gets.

For those of you who are obsessed with (or even like) watching period pieces (i.e., Austen books put to film, etc.), then North & South is an absolute must! Richard Armitage, alone, as John Thornton puts almost every other lead hero to shame. The story is one of overcoming the social divide of the 1850s in Northern England.

And, I don't want to ruin the ending, but the kiss. . .oh, my happy heart. . .the kiss at the end is one of my all-time favorites. That, along with the expression on Margaret Hale's face (played by Daniela Denby-Ashe) after the kiss, makes for a great ending. I can never watch it just once. Again, it's the simplicity of it all that just steals my breath away!

Added bonus: The music orchestrated for North & South by Martin Phipps is a masterpiece. Completely stunning!

So, quick! Go rent, buy, or borrow North & South. You won't regret it! :-D


3 comments:

  1. My all-time favorite scene in that book is when John Thornton is standing on the steps of the factory, watching Margaret ride away in the coach and willing her to look back at him. Gives me goosebumps just THINKING about it. And yes, he even outshines Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy (gasp!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE North & South. I've watched it many times and yes the ending is divine. I've also read the book, which is mainly similar, but with a few differences. To be honest I think the TV series is better, but the book is still worth a go if you're into that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore North and South, my best friend and I have regular re-watch sessions for Thornton alone. The book took me a long time to read but it was well worth it! Followed you via GFC :)

    ReplyDelete